NovaCast has been supporting global initiatives to improve access to clean water supplies since 2017, when we supported Xylem’s Watermark initiative. In 2018 we broadened our support by starting regular donations to the Planet Water Foundation, and 2020 we signed up to the WBCSD WASH Pledge for access to safe water and sanitation and hygiene … Read more
NovaCast’s gravity die casting facility is located at the Melksham foundry and is ideally suited to producing medium-run components from Aluminium and other non-ferrous alloys. Aluminium Gravity Die Casting is a permanent mould casting process that produces very high quality surface finishes with thin walls and cast-in inserts so intricate shapes can be cast rapidly and little subsequent machining is required.
Why use NovaCast Aluminium gravity die casting?
Gravity die casting delivers many benefits including:
- Excellent dimensional accuracy
- Smooth cast surfaces
- Thinner walls can be cast allowing intricate shapes
- Inserts, such as threads, heating elements and high-strength surfaces can be cast-in
- Secondary machining is reduced or eliminated
- Production rates can be rapid making longer production runs possible
- Tensile strength is higher than with sand casting
Gravity Die Casting Process
- A metal die is manufactured, usually in 2 parts, to form a mould.
- The mould is heated and a lubricant is sprayed into it to assist in controlling temperature and in removal of the casting.
- Molten metal is poured into the mould.
- Once solidified, the die is opened and the casting removed either by hand or with the use of pins in automated processes.
- Excess material including the gate, runners, sprues and flash can be removed using a trim die in a power press or by hand.
- Scrap metal is then re-used in the production cycle by re-melting.
Limitations of the process:
There are some disadvantages to this process including:
- The initial tooling cost can be high
- Longer production runs are needed to keep unit costs down and make gravity die casting competitive with other processes